Thursday, October 1, 2009

Art on campus

For the second week in a row, I find myself writing an entry here while waiting for a class or meeting. Which is nice, because I really need something to keep my mind off of the busy weekend ahead. Exams, projects and papers that need to get done, not to mention a home football game. On an unrelated note, today’s topic of discussion is fine arts on campus. Keep in mind, what’s listed below is just the tip of the ice berg.

Most of the fuss lately has been over Art Prize, which, for those not in the know, is in downtown Grand Rapids for the most part. Surprise surprise, that’s next door to GVSU’s Pew Campus. Registration for voting on Art Prize has been on campus for a couple of weeks, and some of the works are even featured on the campus. But that’s just a once-in-a-while thing, right? So what about art on campus at other times? The downtown campus has some great art hanging on the walls or in the courtyards, but I personally think that the best is in the Allendale Campus. Anyone visiting should be sure to check out Transformational Links and the Heaven and Earth sculptures, or the art gallery found in the Performing Arts Center.

And speaking of performing arts, a big congratulations goes out to one of our own admissions employees (he’ll remain unnamed here, but you know who you are), who has a major role in one of this year’s theatrical productions, Rent. The musical’s going to be in November, if I recall correctly, and is just one in a long string of student productions that knock the audiences out of their seats. If anyone gets a chance and wants to see Grand Valley’s students in action, definitely contact GVSU Ticket Sales, and I can assure you that you will not regret it. If theatre isn’t your particular cup of tea, there are so many instrumental and choral ensembles that I lose track of them all before I finish reading an event calendar, so if you’re looking for jazz, men’s ensembles, or an orchestral ensemble, we’ve got it all. And that doesn’t even cover our dance program, which, if I recall correctly, has recitals that are open to the public.

But, having run out of things to say at the moment, it’s probably time for me to sign off. Let me know if you’ve got any questions,
-Kyle

No comments: