Thursday, August 19, 2010

Updates and changes

With fall classes right around the corner, activity around campus is picking back up to the regular fall schedule. Sports camps are taking place all this week, freshmen will move into the living centers next week, and fall semester begins August 30. So to make a long story short, summertime is at an end. Can’t say I’ll miss the heat, but there’s something to be said about missing the general feeling of a summer break.

Still, I’m excited for classes to start, because, quite frankly, I could use a few changes around here. I still have to buy my textbooks, so I’m hoping that used versions are still available. I usually procrastinate when it comes to my school supplies, so do as I say and not as I do: buy your books and supplies early.

With the freshmen class moving in next week, there’s a lot of last minute cleaning being done. New lights are being put up in the housing area, fresh paint on all of the field house doorframes, and a lot of landscaping. This time of year also means, unfortunately, that tours on campus will no longer have access to all three styles of housing; they’ll only see the apartment style. Today was actually the last day that the tour guides even had keys for all of the living styles. Still don’t feel like you’re missing out if you didn’t physically visit all of the options, just be sure to ask your tour guide to describe the other options, as just about all of them can give pretty vivid accounts of the styles they lived in or what they’ve seen of the other options. Also, be sure to check out the housing website since all of the choices for an incoming student are listed online.

We’re also going to start a slightly different schedule up here on the third floor, beginning with the start of classes. We won’t be offering GVSU previews every day any more, but we still have standard tours five days a week and counselor appointments based on availability. A few weeks into the fall we’ll begin having previews two or three times a week, but we’ll also have Saturday visits available starting on the 11th of September.

At this point, though, I’m pretty much out of info for today, so I think I’ll sign out. Post away if you have any concerns, and be sure to enjoy the rest of the summer.

-Kyle

No comments: