Monday, August 3, 2009

Odd Weather

I would have to say that this most definitely does not feel like August, seeing as short sleeves feels like a mistake. But there you go, in most places summer is “in like a lion, out like a lamb,” but in Michigan the lion eats the lamb and then has indigestion. It hasn’t really felt like summer at all thus far, so I’m not sure if it will start anytime soon. Most people wouldn’t be happy that I’m saying this, but that’s kind of to my relief; I never cared for hot and muggy, I’ve always preferred cool and dry.

Truth be told, though, that pretty much sums up Allendale. A lot of people think that lake effect weather means massive precipitation, but I’ve always felt that the lake effect just makes the weather somewhat unpredictable (but last time I checked I’m not an anchor for the Weather Channel). If you know a week in advance how much rain or snow will be falling, you’re a miracle worker. To compensate for that, we’ve got pretty great facilities upkeep staff. I’m not sure if landscaping also takes care of snow removal during winter, but whoever does it probably is the aforementioned miracle workers. Just about all of the sidewalks on campus are always cleared off, and they do an amazing job of salting during wintertime. As far as fall and spring go, I would encourage having a good jacket and reliable umbrella, but after that your guess is as good as mine. 12 inches of rainfall? I could see it happening. A snowstorm in April? Sure, why not. Don’t think of it a rough weather, just… adventurous weather. As always, ask if you’ve got a question.

-Kyle

No comments: